The Best Apple Pie
If you think you’ve already had the best apple pie in your life… you MUST try this one! I promise, you won’t be disappointed. 😉
Why will you love this recipe?
What apples are the best for apple pie?
More acidic apple varieties work best with most apple pies, but I usually mix and match a few varieties to achieve the perfect spot in acidity and sweetness.
For this apple pie I combined:
How to make the best apple pie?
Start from preparing the shortcrust pastry and crumble topping as both need to stay in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, ideally several hours. Then in the meantime start preparing your apples. You need to wash, peel and cut them into smaller pieces, then simmer with sugar and cinnamon in the pot for about 15 minutes. Then you can beat your egg whites as you will need them for later. Once your shortcrust spend required time in the fridge, it needs to be pre-baked for about 15 minutes in the oven. When it’s golden brown, you can fill it with apples, egg whites, crumble topping and bake for additional 30 minutes. After this time, remove it from the oven and enjoy sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Yaaay! It’s super easy, huh? 🙂
The Best Apple PieCourse: DessertDifficulty: Intermediate
- Shortcrust base:
100 g cold unsalted butter
170 g all-purpose flour
2 egg yolks (keep whites for later in a separate bowl)
40 g powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp cold water
- Crumble topping:
100 g all-purpose flour
70 g cold unsalted butter
70 g white sugar
- Apple filling:
3 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp ground sweet cinnamon
- Shortcrust pastry:
- First, sift the flour into a large bowl, add powdered sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Mix these ingredients, take the butter out of the refrigerator, cut it into small pieces and add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Now add the egg yolks. Keep the egg whites in the fridge, you will whip them and add to the apple pie later.
- Quickly combine all the ingredients with your hand, then add cold water and form a ball.
- Wrap in cling film (as shown on picture #1) and put the pastry in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, preferably longer (even several hours). Start preparing crumble topping.
- When your shortcrust and crumble topping are in the fridge, prepare 23 cm tart tin. Lightly butter it and sprinkle with flour (see picture #3).
- After the time required in the fridge, cut pastry into a few slices and place on the tin (see picture #4). Preheat the oven to 1800C,
- Distribute pastry evenly on the tin including its edges, then make a few holes with a fork (see picture #5).
- Put shortcrust into the preheated oven for 15 minutes until golden brown (picture #6).
- Crumble topping:
- Once you put shortcrust pastry into the fridge, start preparing crumble topping. Firstly, combine flour and sugar in the bowl.
- Remove butter from the fridge and cut it into smaller pieces, then add into the bowl.
- Quickly combine all the ingredients by pressing the dough. Do not form a big ball as with shortcrust, just a loose, small balls (picture #2).
- Put crumble topping into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Apple filling:
- Once you put shortcrust and crumble topping into the fridge, it’s time to start preparing the apples.
- Wash and peel apples, then cut flash into smaller pieces and put in a small pot.
- Add sugar and cinnamon. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring with wooden spoon throughout several times, until apples are tender and have a mousse-like texture.
- Egg whites:
- Remove remaining egg whites from the fridge and beat until stiff and shiny.
- Apple pie:
- Remove pre-baked shortcrust from the oven. Do not turn off the oven.
- Put ready apple filling on the hot shortcrust base (picture #7). Then on the top put beaten egg whites (picture #8) and crumble topping (picture #9).
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes in 1800C.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down for a few minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
- Make sure you use cold water, butter and eggs to make the shortcrust pastry.
- Do not form your shortcrust for too long, combine all ingredients as quickly as possible.
- Shortcrust and crumble topping need to stay at least 30 minutes in the fridge. You can also prepare it and keep frozen for up to 2 months.
- Try to use a few apple varieties to achieve a perfect balance between acidity and sweetness.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @magda.yummytitbits or tag #yummytitbits on Instagram!
I am sorry you did not like this recipe!
Let me improve it!
Tell us how I can improve this recipe?